Three different schools ended up as winners in our September football competitions.

The first competition that took place was for Under 10’s (Year 4/5). 12 schools met at Oakley Junior School and played in 3 pools of 4 teams. The group winners were Great Binfields, St Mary’s and Marnel. After the quarter finals, the three group winners were joined in the semi finals by Bishopswood.

The two semis were very tight but St Mary’s and Marnel came out on top. The final was also a very close game, but was won by Marnel 2-1 when they scored with the last kick of the game.

The girl’s competition took place as the Basingstoke qualifier for the ESFA Sevens. So the incentive of being able to get to the County final was there for the winners.

This time 8 schools met at Oakley in two groups of 4. The schools that qualified for the semi finals were Castle Hill and Marnel from one group and Oakley and Bishopswood from the other. Oakley and Bishopswood showed the strength of their group by both winning their semis. This meant the final was a rematch of the group game that Bishopswood had won 1-0. In a very close game it was Oakley who did get revenge on the earlier defeat to win 1-0.

The final competition was the mixed competition where schools could pick all boys teams or include some girls. Again this was a qualifier for the ESFA Sevens County Final.

This time there were 13 schools who were split into one league of 6 schools who played at Rucstall and one league of 7 that went to Oakley. The winners and runner up of each league would then come to Oakley 3 days later to play the finals.

At Rucstall, the winners of the group were the only unbeaten school St John’s. It was close for second place with Fairfields needing to beat St John’s in their last game to pip Rucstall to second place. Unfortunately for Fairfields, St John’s won leaving Rucstall to go through second.

At Oakley the league was very close between 4 schools. In the end The Priory won the group with Oakley just pipping Castle Hill to second place, and Marnel not far behind in 4th.

The semi finals then were St Johns v Oakley and Rucstall v The Priory. The St John’s v Oakley game was close but it looked as if Oakley were going to win 1-0 until there was a last second equaliser from St John’s. There were no further goals in extra time so the dreaded penalties were upon us. Oakley prevailed to make the final!

The second semi final was not quite so close with The Priory running out 6-1 winners against Rucstall

The final was once again a rematch of a game from the qualifying league where The Priory had won 1-0. The game once again was very tight but two good finishes either side of half time meant that The Priory ran out 2-0 winners. The picture below shows the winners after the final.